KOS 2014 (249) 1.jpg
The Hammam stands in the centre of the modern town of Kos, next to the castle of Nerangia, the plane-tree of Hippocrates and the Loggia Mosque, within the wider precinct of the archaeological site containing the Ancient Agora and the medieval town. It is a middle-sized bathhouse, dated in the 17th C., and the only one in the Dodecanese to have operated up to 1948.
Since then, until the early 1980’s, it was used as a salt depot since it is right by the harbour thereby getting its second name.
The bath covers an area of 300 square metres.
It is rectangular in plan, covered with low, brick domes coated with strong waterproof cement and pierced by glazed light-holes.
The interior is divided as follows: reception, changing room which leads to the ‘warm’ part, followed by the ‘hot; compartments with the characteristic marble basins and, finally, the furnace/tank.
The raised central room serving as a rest and recreation hall is the most impressive part.
It was considerably damaged by the earthquake of 1933, and the reception collapsed; it was rebuilt during the Italian occupation.
The building is now open to the public as an attraction of the town centre and part of a heritage walk.